Virginia Weather Data and Storm Chaser Links
updated: May 14, 2014
by William T. Hark
This is a two hour DVD compilation of rare tornado video from the eastern United States. There is footage from over 30 videographers including amateurs, storm chasers and media. Featured tornadoes include multiple views of the La Plata, MD tornado, Hurricane Ivan induced tornadoes across the Washington D.C. area, close video of the Myrtle Beach tornado, the beautiful white Punta Gorda, Florida tornado, massive tornado from Hermitage, PA during the 1985 outbreak and F5 tornado in Lawrence County, TN. The only known footage of the 1953 Worcester, MA tornado is also shown. Click on the above link for purchase info, sample promo video and listing with images of all the tornadoes.
Current Weather Conditions and Forecasts
- National Weather Service --Richmond conditions and forecasts.
- The Weather Channel--Richmond conditions and forecasts.
- Current conditions for selected VA cities--direct from NWS
- VA Hourly Weather Round-up--Virginia regional conditions from the NWS
- VA,MD,NC Mesonet with Satellite/Radar
- Current Condition for selected Maryland Cities--from NWS
- Current conditions for selected NC cities--direct from NWS
- NC Hourly Weather Round-up--North Carolina regional conditions from the NWS
- NC Conditions (clickable map)
- SC Hourly Weather Round-up--South Carolina regional conditions from the NWS
- Virginia Forecast Discussions
- Experimental NWS Graphical Forecast --Southeastern Virginia.
- IWIN Virginia map
- Al Pietrycha's great list of Virginia weather, models, GOES images etc.
Current Radar and Satellite
- Live Weather Radar from WeatherTAP (pay site)
- National Weather Service NEXRAD clickable national map
- Intellicast Regional Radar (MD,DE,VA,WVA,NC,SC) and direct link
- Intellicast Regional Radar (StormWatch) (MD,VA) and (NC)
- NEXRAD from Richmond, VA (Wakefield)
- NEXRAD from Blacksburg, VA
- NEXRAD from Washington, DC
- NEXRAD from Raleigh, NC
- NEXRAD from Morehead City, NC
- Radar image of Mid-Atlantic--through The Weather Channel from WRC TV4
- Virginia FirstWarning Radar (hi-res, update 15 min) from WWBT-12
- Interactive Radar in Richmond from Channel 6 WTVR
- 8 News Stormtracker radar image in Richmond from WRIC
- Visible satellite (GOES-8) of Mid Atlantic from UCAR
- Virginia 1km resolution satellite,central Texas,TX Pan/CO/NM,Oklahoma, Kansas,Nebraska and interactive national map from COD
- Visible satellite 1KM (GOES-12) of eastern region interactive map.
National Storm Warnings and Watches
- Current US severe weather watches and warnings --US graphic NWS.
- Current US severe weather watches and warnings --Another US graphic by NWS/SPC
- Current US weather watches --SPC
- Day 1, Day 2, and Day 3 , Experimental Day 4-8 convective outlooks from the SPC.
- SPC Main Page
- SPC Convective Outlooks (text/graphics)--also current watches, warnings
and mesoscale discussions. (6,13,1630,20,01Z) thru NexLab.
- Day 1 SPC Tornado Probablility through NexLab
- SPC Mesoscale Discussions
- National Hurricane Center-Atlantic and Pacific hurricane forecast maps, outlooks and discussion
- Last 24 hours of severe weather warnings
- Today's severe weather reports --hail, tornadoes, wind damage and other severe weather reports with map.
National Weather Maps, Models, Upper Air Soundings and Surface Plots
*** TwisterData.com ***
Oklahoma Weather Lab (HOOT) including model output (NAM, RAP, GFS, WRF)
Earl's Model Pages and Experimental Severe Weather Model Output
NCEP 4.0 km special NMM WRF run for SPC (00Z init), and (12Z init).
NCAR ARW WRF 3km Forecast
High Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR)
Storm Machine surface and upper-air plots.
SPC Hourly Mesoscale Analysis --area featured is under main threat of
severe weather. Updates 20min after the hour.
SPC Hourly Mesoscale Analysis, Direct links to zones: EC,SPlains,CPlains,NPlains
SPC Hourly Mesoscale Analysis, Direct Links to zones (low-res mobile): EC,SPlains,NPlains
SPC Hourly Mesoscale Analysis, selected direct links for Mid-Atlantic
SPC Hourly Mesoscale Analysis, selected direct links for Southern Plains
SPC Hourly Mesoscale Analysis, selected direct links for Central Plains
SPC Hourly Mesoscale Analysis, selected direct links for Northern Plains
Short Fuse Composite (central & west KS, OK panhandle--objective meso-analysis using hourly FSL LAPS analysis grids
and FSL/NWS GFE software.(west KS & NE) & Short fuse Usage
NWSFO sites running the WRF-ARW
SPC Short Range Ensemble Forecast (SREF) Page
Earth Systems Research Laboratory Experimental Tornado Forecast
Skew T's from:Ohio State, NCAR, UNISYS, CODA, and SPC (current and 7 day archives)
Greg Thompson's (UCAR) site for model data.
NCEP Model Analyses and Guidance
SPC Latest RAP 1 Hour Forecast
CAPS/WX surface and upper air analysis main page and northeast&southern plains
Weather analysis page by Nexlab
ECMF--Long range European Model Forecast for North America (Geopotential 500 hPa)
GFS and NAM Long Range by "idonthaveawebpage.com"
North American Ensemble Forecast System (NAEFS)
Spaghetti Long-Range Plots
Long-range U.S. Hazards Assessments: Days 3 - 7 and Days 8 - 14--Analysis of models for the next couple of weeks for severe weather threats by the CPC.
SPC MARS Forecast Loop-a special version of the GFS ensemble mean
Roger Edward's Storm Intercept Links
Sam Barricklow's Forecast Pages
Other Storm Links
The author of this page assumes no liability or responsibility for the information provided by these links or from those acting upon this information. Use the data at your own risk. This includes storm chasing which is inherently dangerous and is not encouraged by the author of this page. If one is considering storm chasing or has questions about it, reading the following essays is suggested:
"Chaser Safety" by Dr. Charles Doswell III at the NSSL, "Storm Chase Ethics" by Alan Moller and the "Storm Chase Guide and FAQ" by Tim Vasquez and Roger Edwards. Also read "Lightning Strike Effects and Recommendations for Storm Chasers" by William T. Hark, M.D.
- Storm Track Storm Chaser Homepage--the ultimate storm chase resource.
- The Tornado Project--educational website about tornadoes. Also the source for tornado videos and books. Hasn't updated since 2008.
- Severe Storm Events from SPC-Data archives since 1/1/2000 to 12/22/2011
- Storm Event Database from National Climatic Data Center-Storm Data
- SPC Convective Outlooks, Watches, MCD's and reports-Data archives
- Cloud 9 Tours--by Charles Edwards. This was one of the first and is one of the best tours.
- Shane Adams --great photos and chase reports.
- Sam Barricklow's Storm Page--Storm photos, spotter videos.
- Scott Blair --"Target Area." Chase reports and photos
- Chris Collura--Detailed chase logs and images
- Jon Davies--storm case studies, images, accounts and blog.
- Chuck Doswell--chase reports and essays by a chase pioneer and researcher
- Roger Edward's SkyPix --awesome storm and other weather photography. (Blog)
- Jason Foster D.C. area storm chaser.
- Mike Goldberg--Richmond weather forecasts and blog
- Ron Gravelle --Tornado and severe weather photography, chase tours.
- Tornadoscapes-Roger & Caryn Hill storm chase images, accounts and Silver Lining Tours
- Extreme Instability--Mike Hollingshead's chase logs and reports
- High Moon--Eclipse, meteor and storm pics by Klipsi, Paparazzo Del Cielo and chase blog/video
- George Kourounis
--weather images, chase reports and blog
- Chris Kridler --"Skydiary". Storm photos, chase reports and Cloud 9 experiences. Also, special storm website for kids, photography and poetry. Blog
- Tony Laubach--Chaser and Redskins fan. Accounts and images.
- Jim Leonard--storm (and hurricane) chaser, photographer. "The Wrath of Nature" video has the best hurricane footage I've seen. Also tornadoes and hailstorms.
- Dave Lewison--chase reports and photography. (Tracking)
- Amos Magliocco's Cyclone Road-Storm chase images and video (Blog)
- PS Photos--Storm and weather images, New York pics by Scott McPartland. Blog 2014,Twitter window/blog index,Streaming/Tracking
- Gene Moore's Chaseday--storm chase page with some of the best storm photos, tornadoes, cloud structure etc.
- Dave Patrick's Ontario Weather
- Jason Persoff, M.D.--Storm images and blog.
- Al Pietrycha--storm chaser, Vortex participant. Nice tornado pics.
- Storms-R-Us--Chase and Weather Blog with Virginia and Plains chases
- Twister Chasers-Kathryn Piotrowski's storm images and videos.
- Eye on the Tropics--Hurricane and storm pics by Mike Theiss
- Greg Thompson--weather photography.
- Tornadovideos.net and their "Live Chase Tracker" and "Live Storm Chasing"
- Twister Sisters--Mel's and Peggy's storm chase pics.
- Mike Umscheid--Under The Meso storm video, images and chase reports (Blog)
- Severe Weather Diaries by chaser Dayna Vettese. Blog
- Virginia Storm Photo--lightning pics by Jesse V. Bass III
- Storm Highway--Beautiful lightning and storm images, icy road information by Dan Robinson
- Weatherpix.com--Storm and tornado images by Gene Rhoden
- Mark Robinson-Canadian storm chaser. Blog.
- Brad Rousseau
- AccWeather WeatherMatrix Blog--Blog, the remnant of Weathermatrix that was formerly CASI many years ago.
- Australian Severe Weather
- TWC Tornado Central and Tor-Con
- Assorted other chaser blogs: Mikey Gribble,Hokie Storm Chasers, Jeff Gammons,Tornado Titans
- City/Airport abbreviations
- Recommended restaurants in Tornado Alley by: COD,TESSA, Stormtrack thread, and by Chuck Doswell
- National Weather Service Offices at Blacksburg, VA, Wakefield, VA and Sterling, VA
- National Weather Service Offices at Raleigh, NC , Wilmington, NC, Newport/Morehead City, NC, Colombia, SC,Greenville-Spartanburg, SC and Charleston, SC.
- Map of National Weather Service Offices
Real-time storm data, streaming video, images and positions of chasers from the field