Virginia Weather Data and Storm Chaser Links
updated: May 28, 2018
by William T. Hark
Current Weather Conditions and Forecasts
- National Weather Service --Richmond conditions and forecast. Hour by hour forecast.
- VA Hourly Weather Round-up--Virginia regional conditions from the NWS
- NC Hourly Weather Round-up--North Carolina regional conditions from the NWS
- Wakefield NWS office severe thunderstorm briefing page
- Al Pietrycha's great list of Virginia weather, models, GOES images etc.
Current Radar and Satellite
- National Weather Service NEXRAD clickable national map
- Intellicast Regional Radar (MD,DE,VA,WVA,NC,SC) and direct link
- Intellicast Regional Radar (StormWatch) (MD,VA) and (NC)
- NEXRAD from Richmond, VA (Wakefield)
- NEXRAD from Blacksburg, VA
- NEXRAD from Washington, DC
- NEXRAD from Raleigh, NC
- NEXRAD from Morehead City, NC
- Radar image of Mid-Atlantic--from WRC TV4
- Virginia FirstWarning Radar (hi-res, update 15 min) from WWBT-12
- Interactive Radar in Richmond from Channel 6 WTVR
- 8 News Radar image in Richmond from WRIC
- GOES 16 Viewer from College of DuPage
- Satellite Viewer from Weather.US
- Virginia 1km resolution satellite,central Texas,TX Pan/CO/NM,Oklahoma, Kansas,Nebraska and interactive national map from COD.
- Visible satellite 1KM (GOES-12) of eastern region interactive map.
National Storm Warnings and Watches
- Current US severe weather watches and warnings --US graphic NWS.
- Current US severe weather watches and warnings --Another US graphic by NWS/SPC
- Current US weather watches --SPC
- Day 1, Day 2, and Day 3 , Experimental Day 4-8 convective outlooks from the SPC.
- SPC Main Page
- SPC Convective Outlooks (text/graphics)--also current watches, warnings
and mesoscale discussions. (6,13,1630,20,01Z) thru NexLab.
- Day 1 SPC Tornado Probablility through NexLab
- SPC Mesoscale Discussions
- National Hurricane Center-Atlantic and Pacific hurricane forecast maps, outlooks and discussion
- Lightning Detection and Analysis by Weather.us
- Last 24 hours of severe weather warnings
- Today's severe weather reports --hail, tornadoes, wind damage and other severe weather reports with map.
National Weather Maps, Models, Upper Air Soundings and Surface Plots
*** TwisterData.com ***
College of DuPage models inc 4km NAM
Pivotal Weather HRRR,3km NAM and HRW WRF-ARW (Mid-Atlantic),(Tornado Alley)
Earl's Model Pages and Experimental Severe Weather Model Output
NAM viewer from Earl Barker on Skip Talbot's page
NSSL 4km WRF
High Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR)
HRRR SPC Browser
SPC Hourly Mesoscale Analysis --area featured is under main threat of
severe weather. Updates 20min after the hour.
SPC Hourly Mesoscale Analysis, Direct links to zones: EC,SPlains,CPlains,NPlains
SPC Hourly Mesoscale Analysis, Direct Links to zones (low-res mobile): EC,SPlains,NPlains
SPC Hourly Mesoscale Analysis, selected direct links for Mid-Atlantic
SPC Hourly Mesoscale Analysis, selected direct links for Southern Plains
SPC Hourly Mesoscale Analysis, selected direct links for Central Plains
SPC Hourly Mesoscale Analysis, selected direct links for Northern Plains
NSSL 4 km WRF southeast and OK/north Texas
SPC Short Range Ensemble Forecast (SREF) Page
SPC HREF Ensemble Viewer
Skew T's from:Ohio State, NCAR, UNISYS, CODA, and SPC (current and 7 day archives)
Greg Thompson's (UCAR) site for model data.
SPC Latest RAP 1 Hour Forecast
CAPS/WX surface and upper air analysis main page and northeast&southern plains
Weather analysis page by Nexlab
ECMWF--Long range European Model Forecast for North America by Weather.US
GFS and NAM Long Range by "idonthaveawebpage.com"
CFS Severe Weather Guidance Dashboard ("Chiclets")
Long-range U.S. Hazards Assessments: Days 3 - 7 and Days 8 - 14--Analysis of models for the next couple of weeks for severe weather threats by the CPC.
Roger Edward's Storm Intercept Links
Sam Barricklow's Forecast Pages
Skip Talbot's forecast site
NWS Enhanced Data Display (experimental)
Other Storm Links
The author of this page assumes no liability or responsibility for the information provided by these links or from those acting upon this information. Use the data at your own risk. This includes storm chasing which is inherently dangerous and is not encouraged by the author of this page. If one is considering storm chasing or has questions about it, reading the following essays is suggested:
"Chaser Safety" by Dr. Charles Doswell III at the NSSL, "Storm Chase Ethics" by Alan Moller and the "Storm Chase Guide and FAQ" by Tim Vasquez and Roger Edwards. Also read "Lightning Strike Effects and Recommendations for Storm Chasers" by William T. Hark, M.D.
- Storm Track Storm Chaser Homepage (forums)--the ultimate storm chase resource.
- Severe Storm Events from SPC-Data archives since 1/1/2000 to 12/22/2011
- Storm Event Database from National Climatic Data Center-Storm Data
- SPC Convective Outlooks, Watches, MCD's and reports-Data archives
- Wakefield, VA NWS storm event database. Also see Blacksburg, VA NWS , Sterling, VA NWS and Raleigh, NC NWS.
- Cloud 9 Tours--by Charles Edwards. This was one of the first and is one of the best tours.
- Shane Adams --great photos and chase reports.
- Sam Barricklow's Storm Page--Storm photos, spotter videos.
- Scott Blair --"Target Area." Chase reports and photos
- Chris Collura--Detailed chase logs and images
- Jon Davies--storm case studies, images, accounts and blog.
- Chuck Doswell--chase reports and essays by a chase pioneer and researcher
- Roger Edward's SkyPix --awesome storm and other weather photography. (Blog)
- Mike Goldberg--Richmond weather forecasts and blog
- Tornadoscapes-Roger & Caryn Hill storm chase images, accounts and Silver Lining Tours
- Extreme Instability--Mike Hollingshead's chase logs and reports
- High Moon--Eclipse, meteor and storm pics by Klipsi, Paparazzo Del Cielo
- George Kourounis
--weather images, chase reports and blog
- Chris Kridler --"Skydiary". Storm photos, chase reports and Cloud 9 experiences. Also, special storm website for kids, photography and poetry. Blog
- Tony Laubach--Chaser and Redskins fan. Accounts and images.
- Jim Leonard--storm (and hurricane) chaser, photographer. "The Wrath of Nature" video has the best hurricane footage I've seen. Also tornadoes and hailstorms.
- Dave Lewison--chase reports and photography. (Tracking)
- Amos Magliocco's Cyclone Road-Storm chase images and video
- PS Photos--Storm and weather images, New York pics by Scott McPartland. Blog 2015,Twitter window/blog index,Streaming/Tracking
- Gene Moore's Chaseday--storm chase page with some of the best storm photos, tornadoes, cloud structure etc.
- Jason Persoff, M.D.--Storm images and blog.
- Al Pietrycha--storm chaser, Vortex participant. Nice tornado pics.
- Storms-R-Us--Chase and Weather Blog with Virginia and Plains chases
- Twister Chasers-Kathryn Piotrowski's storm images and videos.
- Eye on the Tropics--Hurricane and storm pics by Mike Theiss. Also Extreme Nature Photgraphy
- TVNweather.com and their "Tornado Videos.Net (Old Website)"
- Mike Umscheid--Under The Meso storm video, images and chase reports, birds and other nature (Blog)
- Severe Weather Diaries by chaser Dayna Vettese.
- Virginia Storm Photo--lightning pics by Jesse V. Bass III
- Storm Highway--Beautiful lightning and storm images, icy road information by Dan Robinson
- Mark Robinson-Canadian storm chaser. Part of Storm Hunters.Blog.
- Brad Rousseau
- AccWeather WeatherMatrix Blog--Blog, the remnant of Weathermatrix that was formerly CASI many years ago.
- Australian Severe Weather and Extreme Storms (Aus)
- TWC Tornado Central
- Assorted other chaser blogs: Mikey Gribble,Hokie Storm Chasers,Tornado Titans
- City/Airport abbreviations
- Recommended restaurants in Tornado Alley by: Chuck Doswell
- National Weather Service Offices at Blacksburg, VA, Wakefield, VA and Sterling, VA
- National Weather Service Offices at Raleigh, NC , Wilmington, NC, Newport/Morehead City, NC, Colombia, SC,Greenville-Spartanburg, SC and Charleston, SC.
- Map of National Weather Service Offices
- Virginia road information and national road info links by state
Real-time storm data, streaming video, images and positions of chasers from the field